January 1, 2010

Christmas Snowstorm

This Christmas we had lots of snow wind, and freezing cold temperature. On Christmas eve, I was helping mom find a jar for Uncle Ryan's muffin mix. All the sudden the lights got really bright and then they went off. I dropped my jar and ran to the living room. Dad and Joseph came upstairs and Dad turned on his flashlight. Then mom said something didn't smell right, and she started walking out of the kitchen. Then there was this really loud buzzing sound, and mom said she saw a flashing light behind the microwave. Then for the next hour, Dad started taking apart electrical outlets, and talking about breakers and stuff (I have no clue what a breaker is, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with electricity). Then Joseph tapped me on the shoulder and said "What was that sound?". I hadn't heard sound, but he said he thought he heard something getting smashed outside.
The next day, on Christmas morning, I found out what he heard.
I looked out the window, and the wind must have been blowing pretty darn hard, because a big chunk of our tree had broken off and landed in our neighbor's tree. That morning we also discovered that the lights in the bathroom, the speakers in the basement, the furnace, and the clothes dryer had stopped working.